Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Passed, The World Forever Changed

Ten years ago I woke up on a Tuesday to my mom in the shower and my dad calling on the phone telling me to turn on the tv.  I saw a newscast of a burning building on the tv that sat on my dads dresser.  I was unfazed. Huh I wondered..oh look a plane hit a building on accident. I had no idea what the World Trade Center was. I had no idea of the magnitude of the situation.  My dad made me get my mom out of the shower and she freaked out.  Looking back I understand how it must have been horrifying as a parent to discover your nation under attack.  What does this mean for America.  Her cousin had worked in the world trade center, but there offices had been moved.  She spent all morning calling her relatives on the east coast.

As I vaguely remeber getting ready for school and then distinctly remember sitting down in the living room and watching as the buildings fell.  That's when it really hit me, oh my gosh these buildings fell and there must have been a whole bunch of people inside.  I remember the somber day in school as most of the teachers barely taught anything..they mostly taught us about the world trade center and I remember the moment of silence during science class.

My parents had just gone to visit my Uncle in Philadelphia, exactly one month before and had gone to the city and have pictures in front of the WTC.  It's one of the only places I feel like my dad has been that I haven't.  I had just gone on my 8th grade Washington DC trip in March 2001. Looking back now I see how naive I was about flying and security and all these bad things that could really happen in the world.  9/11/01 made me grow up and I think that is when I really discovered the need to travel, the need to understand the world, and the hope for peace.

New York City is the one city I have never been to and have been wanting to go to for so long.  My little sister gets to go in December and I am so jealous!  I've been watching friends from season 1-the end and I am on the end of season 7.  All of the screen shots of the city makes me want to not only go there but live there.  I love los angeles and I dont think i could leave it, but somehow there is this new need and hunger to become a new yorker or experience the east coast. from the hamptons to suburbs in connecticut to boston to the jersey shore. that and the south are the places i havent discovered yet in america.

I feel so blessed for the life I have been given.  Today I finally hiked Runyan Canyon and it was a great way to remember the fallen on that day.  Looking out over Los Angeles and the beauty of the city made me think more about how a city came together after a tragedy and what the true meaning of tragedy and horror means.

It's been a beautiful Sunday.  Good friends, cleaning, cooking, shopping, hiking, and remembering.

<3 T

No comments:

Post a Comment